Sunday, January 20, 2008

Shoebox Legends

Sports card collecting was a hobby I loved as a kid in the late 80's and early 90's. I still remember piling in the car on a Saturday with my father and two brothers and heading out to the local card shop or flea market to pick up a couple of packs. I recall the feeling of elation when my grubby little 8-year-old hands pried open that ugly green wrapper that protected a few terribly designed 1990 Topps baseball cards to reveal a Nolan Ryan, my favorite player at the time. The world was pretty simple back then.

For one reason or another I eventually packaged all of my cards, put them away in my parents' basement, and moved on to other things like music, college and a career. This past year, at age 24, and with a decent amount of expendable income available for the first time in my life, I've returned to the hobby that provided me so much enjoyment when I was younger. A few other great card blogs I've been reading over the past few months (like Thorzul Will Rule and Cardboard Junkie) have inspired me to start my own.

I am setting no stringent goals or standards for this blog. I hope to display some vintage cards, maybe bust a few packs, hopefully arrange a trade or two, give away some interesting stuff, have a few good laughs, and possibly even learn a thing or two along the way. In general, I will probably be covering mostly vintage cards, baseball and hockey with some occasional basketball as well. Welcome to Shoebox Legends!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...