Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Case for Update Sets

Dayf recently featured a great example of why update sets are a good thing, and I couldn't agree more. First and foremost, they act as the modern day "Traded" set, providing an opportunity to pull cards of players who were dealt mid-season, such as the Griffey card pictured above. I've only opened a few packs so far, and am still anxiously looking for the Manny Ramirez - Los Angeles Dodgers card.

Aside from that, I like how they provide a snapshot of some of the events that occurred over the previous baseball season. This Josh Hamilton card is a perfect example:

Tell me that isn't a great card! Upper Deck was my favorite 2008 base set, and I was very disappointed to hear that they are not releasing an update set this year. I hope they strongly reconsider in 2009. Topps, please don't follow suit and do away with your Updates & Highlights set next year!

1 comment:

dayf said...

Yeah, as much as I gripe about this set, I just bought a blaster of the stuff. Besides, where else will I ever get a card of Ruben Gotay in a Braves uniform??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...