Thursday, February 18, 2010

Red Sox Collection - 1939 Play Ball Fred Ostermueller

Recently I won this 1939 Play Ball Fred Ostermueller card on Ebay. Believe it or not this is now my oldest Red Sox card. I was intrigued by the card since I had never even held a Play Ball card, let alone added one to my collection. The corners are a bit dinged but the card is crease-free and in great shape considering it's over 70 years old!

Fred (affectionately known as Fritz) enjoyed a 14 year career in Major League Baseball despite not debuting until age 27. The majority of that time was spent with the Boston Red Sox and Pittsburgh Pirates. I don't know the specific circumstances, but sadly Ostermueller passed away at age 50, just 9 years after hanging up his cleats for the final time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...