Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cards From Canuck

This week a package arrived from one of my favorite traders, Captain Canuck. You know him from the blog Waxaholic, but if you're a hockey fan and haven't seen it yet make sure to check out his other blog dedicated solely to hockey, Just A Bit Offside. Captain helped knock a few more cards off my want list, but as usual also threw in a couple of bonus Whaler cards including this Pinnacle Murray Craven:

I've always liked the 1992-93 Pinnacle set, but for whatever reason have very few cards from it. This may be one that I pick up a box or two of on the cheap at some point.

Also included was this Pro Set Platinum Kevin Dineen card, with Peter Sidorkiewicz lurking in the background. There were a few cards from two sets in particular, including 13 cards I needed from last year's Series 2 Upper Deck set. Sal sent a bunch of these in his last package as well, I guess my blogging friends are determined for me to finish this set!

Nice horizontal card of Patrick Kane about to light the lamp.

Henrik Zetterberg in what appears to be a mid-dump-in photo.

Saku Koivu celebrating with teammates. I'm now just 7 cards away from finishing this one off. Also included were 7 more cards towards my nearly complete 2008-09 O-Pee-Chee hockey set, all of them Marquee Rookies (I've already finished the 500 card short set and the 40 card Legends subset). Most were no-name players but there were a couple of decent guys:

Turris has seen action in 14 games this year for Phoenix.

Although not an offensive-minded defenseman, Hjalmarsson has played in 19 games for the Hawks this season. Perhaps most appreciated in this package were 2 cards I needed from the 1979-80 Retro parallel subset:

These are only inserted one per pack, so completing this 600 card set is quite ambitious, but I really hope to get there someday. These 2 put me at 396 cards, so I'm just about 2/3 of the way there. As usual, there was a junk wax era hockey pack included with the cards. This time it was 1991-92 Score (Canadian Bilingual edition).

15 cards in the pack, here are a few of my favorites:

The most recent inductee in the Hockey Hall-of-Fame.

A couple of Penguins including goaltender Tom Barrasso and one of the best defenseman of all time, Paul Coffey:


Wayne Gretzky Lady Byng Trophy card. These are very similar to the trophy winner cards in Score's inaugural set released the year prior.

Mike Modano - The Franchise. I'd like to take a moment to point out how much better these cards look than the Franchise inserts in Panini's recent Score release. I've always thought these were some of the nicer looking cards in the 1991-92 set.

Another Wayne Gretzky trophy card. Pretty random to get both of these in the same pack.



Greg Adams has some roller marks across the top, which I don't recall ever seeing in this set. Believe me, I opened a TON of this too back in the day.

Thanks for another great trade package Captain! I'm now just 7 cards from finishing 2009-10 Upper Deck hockey, and just 12 cards from completing the monstrous 2008-09 O-Pee-Chee set. Brian, maybe I can send you a 1992-93 Upper Deck starter set?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...