Saturday, June 8, 2013

Coot Veal Red Sox - Part One - Remember Kids, Always Wear a Cup!

Recently I received an astounding bubble mailer packed tightly with Red Sox cards from Dustin of Coot Veal and the Vealtones.  Dustin completely blew me away with his generosity, I believe this is the second largest lot of Sox I've ever received in a trade, and the largest in over 5 years.  There were so many cards inside that I'm going to have to break this into multiple posts.  Today's post shows the cards from the first team set bag to spill out of the package, a boatload of singles from the junk wax era.

I still have a ton of team set needs from many of the sets from this era, so I actually needed 34 out of the 36 cards in this bag.  I've scanned every one of them here.  I recently scored a very cool Ellis Burks card that I'll be showing here in the near future that will pair nicely with this 1990 Donruss Diamond King.

Five cards towards my 1992 Score team set...


1992 Score was a vast improvement over the 1991 set.  I actually sort of enjoy the '92 release.

The inspiration behind the title for this post, Josias played one career game with Boston.  He is most famous for taking a vicious Manny Ramirez line drive to the groin that ultimately resulted in the "Manzanillo Twins" becoming just an only child.


1994 Sportflics, this one definitely brought back some memories...


I always forget just how awful that first Studio release was.  Just look at the crop-job on Reardon's hair.

After they got past the first release, the Studio cards were actually kind of nice.




There were a couple of cards from 1993 Studio, which I think is my favorite of the Studio releases.


My very first 1994 Bowman cards...

Dude looks like he's about 10 years old...





My first 1997 Bowman as well, I like the look of these.





Rookie card of current day MLB manager Eric Wedge.







That's 34 new cards in my Red Sox collection, and this is only the tip of the iceberg.  I'll have the next batch, which features some stars from the World Series winning teams of last decade, up this coming week.  Thanks Dustin!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...