Monday, November 4, 2013

1953 Topps Project - Hank Edwards

Time to focus on another addition to my growing 1953 Topps set.  Today's card features Hank Edwards of the St. Louis Browns:

I confess that I don't know much at all about Hank here.  He played 11 seasons in the Majors with quite a few different teams including the Indians, Cubs, Dodgers (Brooklyn), Reds, White Sox and finally, the team you see him depicted with here, the St. Louis Browns.  His 65 appearances with the Browns in 1953 would constitute the final season of his career.

Edwards' big claim to fame seems to be that he led the AL in triples back in 1946.  On an average year he'd appear in maybe half of his team's games, sometimes as an outfielder sometimes as a pinch hitter, hit between .250 and .300 and maybe give you a handful of doubles and/or home runs.  To me, the most interesting thing about this card is just how much Hank resembles the creature in the St. Louis Browns logo!  Is it just me, or is there some real similarity between Edwards and Brownie the Elf there?

So there you have it, one card closer to '53 Topps completion.  Welcome to the collection Mr. Edwards...

Set Progress:  58 of 274 (21%)

3 comments:

CaptKirk42 said...

Nice. I just got this card this weekend from Ebay. I thought it might have been lost since the seller didn't have it marked as being shipped.

Pro Set Cards said...

Wow what a nice looking set. I am sure it will be an amazing when it is all finished. Any huge barriers in this set? I assume Mickey will be pricey...

shoeboxlegends said...

Thanks guys! Dave, there are some big obstacles for sure. First and foremost the Mantle, which will likely run me around 2k or so. Other monsters are Mays, Jackie Robinson (also card #1 in the set) and a bunch of other Hall-of-Famers. Like a lot of vintage sets the high series cards can be brutal, even commons can be $60 or more in a PSA 6. Some day...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...