Sunday, December 1, 2013

Signature Sundays - McSorley and Muller

Here are another couple of recent additions from the 2012-13 Panini Classics Signatures set.  First up is tough guy Marty McSorley:

How's that for a signature?  One of my favorites from the set so far.  Casual hockey fans (like my Dad) remember McSorley as nothing more than "Gretzky's bodyguard".  He was a part of some significant moments in hockey history though, including assisting on "the goal" when Gretzky broke Howe's all-time scoring record.  Unfortunately, he'll also always be remembered for his illegal stick infraction in the 1993 Stanley Cup Finals against...


...Kirk Muller and the Montreal Canadiens.  Muller was the #2 overall pick in the '84 entry draft behind Mario Lemieux, and was a nearly point-per-game scorer and fan favorite in both New Jersey and Montreal over the first 11 years of his career.  In a sad series of events, Kirk was then traded to the New York Islanders, where careers go to die.  He was never heard from again.  Okay so that's an exaggeration but his numbers certainly dipped permanently.

Muller is currently head coach of the Carolina Hurricanes.  I've now posted 54 autographs from this set.  I've got a few more, but might take a break for a Sunday or two to show some different subject matter and mix it up a bit...

3 comments:

Hackenbush said...

I'm happy with my little hockey auto collection but your's is pretty impressive (and that's just from the one set)!

Marc said...

When I was reading Mcsorley's stick infraction I thought you were talking about his stick infraction to the back of Brashear's head. I had forgotten about the stick that cost the Kings game 2 of their Cup run.

shoeboxlegends said...

Thanks Hackenbush! Marc, I definitely remember that game, one of the uglier Boston Bruin moments I can recall from over the years.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...