Sunday, February 22, 2015

Signature Sundays - Rollie's 'Stache

A couple of years ago, I finally got around to picking up an autograph of the great Rollie Fingers.  The card came from the 2009 Upper Deck Goudey set, and I was really happy with the pick-up.  Here's a look at it:

Just a great card.  I love the Goudey design, and Rollie has quite a signature to boot.  One thing has bothered me about the card since picking it up, though.  To folks who were collecting baseball cards in the 1980s it should be glaringly obvious.  No mustache. 

If you were to poll a hundred baseball fans and ask them what the most recognizable facial hair in the history of the game is, I'm willing to bet more than a few of them would list Rollie Fingers.  Yet here he is, clean shaven from earlier in his career with the A's.  I've been tempted to take a black marker and draw the mustache onto this card myself, but a few months ago I found a better solution:

In 2002, Topps included some buyback autographs of HOFers in their flagship set.  All autographs were on card, and hand serial numbered (I've seen some like Rollie here with 300 copies, others with 200).  When I stumbled upon Rollie's '85 Topps version I knew I had to make a play for it, and to my surprise and elation my winning bid was less than $10!

The '70s were before my time, so wearing a Brewers cap and rocking the 'stache is exactly how I remember Rollie from collecting as a kid.  I would also have to say that this is hands down the best mustache in my entire autograph collection.

The back has the Topps hologram, which I guess proves that this is legit vs. someone getting creative with an '80s Topps common and a blue sharpie.

I have to say, this may be the most rewarding "$10 or less" card I've picked up in a long, long time...

7 comments:

Billy Kingsley said...

That is indeed an awesome moustache. If it wasn't so maintenance heavy I'd do that with mine. On the other hand, you do kind of expect him to laugh maniacally while tying some woman to old-time railroad tracks...but it's a small price to pay for that awesomeness!

Fuji said...

Fingers has my vote for the most recognizable facial hair in the history of the game. And that Goudey autograph of yours isn't too shabby either.

Hackenbush said...

Rollie definitely has a top tier signature. It's actually fun to see him without the stache but now you have the best of both worlds.

Commishbob said...

Great pickup! My collection is sorely lacking in Rollie Fingers cards. I may have to fix that soon.

Mark Kaz said...

Both awesome. Especially that '85. Tremendous!

qualum23 said...

Nice Pickups! Mr. Shoebox legends, if you're interested in trading, please let me know by e-mailing me at qualum23@gmail.com or you can find me on Sports Card Forum under the name qualum23. Thank you!

Jeff

Ana Lu said...

Fingers..you bloody sexy mustache man! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...