Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Cards from My Dad - Ed Johnston Tallboy

Over the past couple of years my Dad has been really generous in passing down to me the majority of the cards he had picked up over the years when my brothers and I were kids.  I have not done a very good job of posting them and saying thanks, so I plan to start doing that over the next few months.

Today I've got one of my favorites out of everything that's been handed down to me, a beautiful 1964-65 Topps Ed Johnston:

I was inspired to post this one due to a few cards from this set that my buddy Dave H over at Wax Stain Rookie has posted recently.  I absolutely love these extra large "tall boy" cards, in fact if I was going to chase one '60s hockey set I think this would be the one.  As it stands right now Ed here is just my 9th one, and with 110 cards on the checklist I'm quite a ways away from making significant progress.  I may decide to go for it if I ever get through with my '70s Topps hockey run first.

This one is particularly cool, as there's just something about vintage goalie cards that I seem to love.  I think maybe it's just amazing to me how much the equipment has evolved over the years.  Can you imagine a goaltender dressed like this taking a slapshot from one of today's snipers?  Ouch!  This card is in great shape too, nicer than some of my others from the set.

I really like the back of the card as well, which references Ed playing in all 70 games during the '63-64 season.  An awesome cartoon also!

I'll be posting some more great cards from my Dad in the coming months.  Dad, if you read this, thanks!!!

6 comments:

Mark Hoyle said...

Great card. Remember watching Eddie play during the 70 and 72 cup runs

Marc said...

Awesome card. Awesome dad.

Pro Set Cards said...

Wow, that card is sharp! I love the card and I think it is extra special that it has come from you Dad. Glad to have provided inspiration to one of my favourite bloggers. Thanks for sharing Shane!

Hackenbush said...

Love the cartoon.

Alan said...

Whoops I gave you that one by mistake. lol
Glad you can enjoy the cards.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card! I have very few hockey cards from the 1960's, but I'm going to have to make an effort to track down at least a few Tallboys.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...