Saturday, November 7, 2015

Raining Gold

I've had this card for at least a couple of weeks now, and I can't decide if I love it, or hate it.  I definitely appreciate it, as I do every new Red Sox card, just not sure how I feel about that painting.  It's my first Red Sox card from the 2010 Topps National Chicle release, and it certainly makes me want to check out the rest.

Mike Cameron here actually kicked off the latest PWE that I received from my most frequent trading partner, Mark Kaz of This Way to the Clubhouse.  There's nothing better than checking the mail and having your Red Sox collection increase by nine cards as a result!

I already owned a copy of this 1975 Topps Doug Griffin card, I just haven't made it back that far in terms of entering my entire inventory into Zistle.  All's well that ends well however, as this is a major condition upgrade for the copy in my set binder.  Score!

How about the juxtaposition of vintage and modern on this card?  A nice shot of Tris Speaker, given the Diamond Anniversary foil treatment.  A nice looking card overall.  I'll always remember 2011 Lineage as the set that could have been, due to the atrocious card backs.

I'm on the precipice of a complete team set from 2004 Donruss World Series at this point, thanks to latest addition Jason Varitek.  It doesn't get much better for Red Sox collectors than a set dedicated to the World Series where the curse was broken.

Exactly how many sets were getting released every year around the turn of the century anyway?!?!  I've been collecting again for over eight years now, and I'm still discovering entire sets I've never heard of before.  Upper Deck Gold Reserve would be one of them.

I'm sure the average collector reading this post would consider this one of the least interesting cards of this PWE, but it's actually my personal favorite.  Why is that?  Well, it's my first Red Sox card of both players.  Two obscure names crossed off the all-time Red Sox roster with a single card, can't beat that!

This guy is an interesting story, he was signed out of Cuba well into his career (age 25).  Juan climbed as high as AAA Pawtucket within the Red Sox farm system, but never managed to take the final step.  He's apparently playing pro ball in Mexico these days.

Another highlight from this round of nine is this awesome Topps Gold Nate Minchey.  What a shot of Nate mid-delivery, and I love that the photographer really captured the rainfall perfectly.  An under-rated '90s common for sure.

Closing out this batch is a combos insert from this year's Topps Heritage set.  At least one of these guys had a solid 2015 season.  Let's hope at least one of them is gone before players report to Spring Training for 2016.  I'd vote the guy in the middle out myself, although I think the team would have to eat a hefty portion of his salary to get anyone to take him off their hands.

Mark, these were great as always, sorry for the delay in posting them.  Hope you enjoy the latest I sent your way!

3 comments:

Twitch said...

Ah, Chicle. That brand has a tumultuous, and well-documented, history. Calling it hit-or-miss is probably the most diplomatic way of putting it...

Mark Hoyle said...

Great Bosox additions

Mark Kaz said...

Whew, I'm glad that '75 Griffin is a condition upgrade otherwise I'd feel bad about shooting you a dupe. And, you couldn't be more right about Lineage. A badly missed opportunity by Topps to create a very special set.

I did receive your follow-up PWE, by the way. It's magical, as usual!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...