Sunday, March 5, 2017

Buyback Franken-set: Bo Knows Buybacks

When I was collecting baseball cards as a kid Bo Jackson was one of the biggest names in sports, and by extension in the hobby.  I distinctly remember the whole "Bo Knows" craze that had the two-sport star plastered all over sports cards, advertisements, magazines and more at the time.

The few cards of his that I was fortunate enough to have at that age were a big deal to me.  They each got the top-loader treatment and were stored in my shoebox with my other most prized cards.  There was one that stood above all the rest though, and that I think a good percentage of collectors to this day would list as Jackson's best card.

Recently I was able to land a buyback version for my project:

The 1987 and 1990 Topps Future Stars subsets have some serious nostalgia value for me.  The large, colorful logo used on these '87s in particular just takes me right back.  I know that typically a person's tastes are largely influenced by the era they grew up in; odds are if you were a child of the '80s or early '90s you consider this a pretty epic piece of cardboard.  I certainly do.

This is the kind of card that I could see as a main attraction for the franken-set, a card that will probably sit snugly in its assigned pocket for good.  In order to do that though, it has to make it into the binder to begin with, and there is a card in the way:

Ouch.  I was really hoping to keep this one around.  I'm particularly fond of Rick Wise since he played one of the most impressive single games any player has ever played back in 1971, and was also the winning pitcher in what most folks consider the most exciting post-season game in Red Sox history (just months before this card was printed!).

It pains me to relegate Rick to the rejected box, but he stood not a chance against Bo.

Yup, I'm fairly certain that this buyback will still be in the binder on the day I finish this project, if that day ever comes...

Franken-set Progress:  327/792 (41%)
"Rejected" Buybacks:  117
Total Buybacks in Collection:  444

6 comments:

Jon said...

I have a feeling that this particular Bo, may end up being one of the more sought after buybacks, even amongst all the non-buyback collectors.

Hackenbush said...

Bo was incredible.

Tim B. said...

This Buyback and the 1990 Bernie Williams are the only bright spots for me since the 'junk wax' has dominated the offerings so far this year. Congrats on adding a copy of Bo!

Rob said...

Poor Rick never had a chance...

Mark Kaz said...

You did the right thing. Bo's 1987 Topps card is too iconic to suppress!

Pro Set Cards said...

Gosh I remember all my friends clamoring to get that Bo card. Nostalgia alone makes it a great addition!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...