Sunday, July 9, 2017

Signature Sundays - Dino!

I've got another 1989-90 Topps/O-Pee-Chee hockey autograph to share with you this week.  It goes particularly well with the Rod Langway I featured a couple of weeks ago, as it's also a 2007-08 O-Pee-Chee buyback auto, and like the Langway features not only a Washington Capital but also a HOFer!

Yes, it's the great Dino Ciccarelli!  This is my very first autograph of the pesky and high-scoring right winger, and like all of the O-Pee-Chee buyback autos I've encountered so far it is big, bold and on-card.

Dino carved out a very impressive and lengthy career with the North Stars, Capitals and Red Wings before winding things down with a few seasons in the state of Florida between the Lightning and the Panthers.  He amassed 600+ goals and 1,200 points along the way.  Ciccarelli was a controversial figure both on and off the ice, and always seemed to me to be one of those guys you hated unless he was playing for the team you happen to root for.

Despite his impressive point totals, Ciccarelli didn't get the "call to the Hall" until 8 years after he was first eligible.  Many people attribute this to his on and off-ice legal troubles, but eventually talent won out and he was enshrined.

Here's the back, as you can see Dino had only just transitioned to the Caps before the '89-90 set was printed up.

I was happy that, like with the Rod Langway card, the seller included the CoA that certifies the authenticity of the exact copy that I won.

Another notch in my '89-90 autograph belt, and a big one at that!  Not too shabby for just $4.99!

I'm always on the lookout for additional '89-90 Topps or O-Pee-Chee autographs, if you have any available or get a lead on any please let me know.  Thanks for stopping by, as always!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another nice Capital signature!

Maybe it's because I never collected 1989-90 Hockey - I still only have one or two cards - but it's interesting how it sort of hits at the 1990 baseball design. Both designs have the photo bordered in two colors (top and one side in one color, bottom and the other side in another color), and both feature parallelograms in the design.

Brad said...

I'll keep an eye out for any for you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...