Wednesday, September 27, 2017

1950 Bowman - Post #4 - Cliff Fannin

It's actually been a few months since I featured a new 1950 Bowman card, but I do still intend to passively collect this set.  Seems as good a time as any to get back to it!

Today's subject is card #106 on the checklist, featuring St. Louis Browns pitcher Cliff Fannin.  Cliff was sort of a middling pitcher who appeared in over 150 MLB games over the course of his career, 98 of them as a starter.  Unfortunately he passed away from a clogged artery at just 42 years old.

I like this one for a couple of reasons.  I'm a fan of franchises of the past, but more than that I just love the artwork here, particularly the background.  The old school ballpark backdrops are some of the absolute best things about the '50s Bowman releases.  The ad for ice cubes on the outfield wall has to be the star of the show here, right?

Here's a look at the back, for posterity's sake.

To me, this one is all about the wonderful front though.  Feels good to be plodding along with this set again after a short break, I've got a few more stocked up to feature here in the coming weeks...

Set Progress:  4 of 252 (1.6% Complete)

3 comments:

Tony Burbs said...

I completely agree with you about the old school, ballpark backdrops. There's just something so quaint and serene about such a scene. Adding in a forgotten franchise to the mix is an added bonus!

Chris said...

I love the old ballpark backgrounds, too. Bowman had so many cool cards like this. The horizontal (and wordless) photo really makes the details pop - from Fannin's follow-through to the Ice Cubes and Gem billboards. Great card!

Kin said...

I'm passively acquiring 1950 Bowman football cards when I come across them. Both sets are things of beauty.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...