Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What I Bought Instead of Allen & Ginter - Post #7

Okay, this sounded like a good idea for a set of posts initially, but it's really getting old. Time to wrap it up here. Here's the final item I purchased in lieu of a 2010 Allen & Ginter hobby box:

2004 Donruss Leather & Lumber - Lumber Cuts - Will Clark

I already picked up a whole slew of Clark cards earlier in this run of posts, but I really wanted to add an auto to my collection. I decided on this one for a few reasons. I had never heard of the Leather & Lumber sets but I really liked the design of the card. I've never been a fan of sticker autos so I wanted to avoid that, and while this one isn't "on card" per se, I like that the signature is on a small piece of inset leather. The card has a classic feel to it that I really like. Here's the back:

Nothing to write home about here. The card is serial numbered which is nice, but this won't be making Night Owl's card back countdown by any means. The other selling point for me was the price, I won this one for $12.50, which I thought was pretty reasonable.

Cost: $12.50
Running Total: $88.50

2010 Allen & Ginter hobby boxes were selling for well over $100 when I came up with this idea, but they have since dipped to between $85 and $90 for the most part. On top of that I'm sick of writing these posts so I'm going to call it here. Let's review what I got for my money in addition to this Clark:

-A nice on-card auto of a key member of the Red Sox "Impossible Dream" team from 1967
-1/2 dozen PSA graded 1967 Topps cards
-Completed my 1991 Topps Stadium Club Series 1 baseball set
-Grabbed a whole slew of Will Clark cards for the player collection
-Picked up a nice chunk of 1993-94 Upper Deck SP hockey
-Two graded second year cards of Red Sox legends

I think I did pretty well all in all, and I'm positive that I will enjoy having these items in my collection much more than what I likely would've pulled out of a hobby box of A & G!

2 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

cool posts, and waaaaaay better stuff than busting a box of Ginter.

Play at the Plate said...

Jealous! I have to track down one of those Clarks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...