Thursday, August 18, 2011

COMC Hobby Box - Another Villain, Delicious Chicken and a Beautiful Blue Mini!

Time for the next installment of my COMC hobby box. Apologies to those who are sick of seeing these, but this post brings me to 2/3 of the way through and I'm determined to finish this in August. Here are packs 15 and 16...

Pack 15:

1991 Topps - #530 - Roger Clemens ($.25)

When I showed the '91 Topps Boggs a few posts ago and remarked that there was one more '91 Topps card coming, Captain Canuck correctly guessed this card. I guess it wasn't too hard given that I collect Red Sox and that this is one of the more iconic cards from that set. Sure, Roger may have turned into a first-class d-bag over the last few years, but this is a classic nonetheless.


1974-75 Topps - #203 - Barry Gibbs ($.15)

Not to be confused with the Bee Gee, this is Barry Gibbs, not Barry Gibb. I don't have a whole lot to say about this card, it's terribly off-center but it was only 15 cents and puts me at 39 cards to go in this set!


2005 Upper Deck Past Time Pennants - #54 - Luis Tiant ($.33)

If this guy could have pitched in every game of the '75 World Series, the Red Sox might have won!


1977 Star Wars - #217 - Darth Vader ($.65)

I bet your Allen & Ginter box didn't have the Dark Lord of the Sith in it?!?!


2011 Gypsy Queen - #20 - Andre Dawson (Framed Green) ($.63)

If you've been paying attention you'll notice I picked up both the Framed Green and Framed Paper parallels of Dawson in this lot.


1975 Topps Mini - #510 - Vida Blue ($.40)

This might be the best of the '75 minis I picked up. I love that they have Vida against a fitting backdrop of blue sky.


Insert:

1992-93 Upper Deck Gordie Howe Heroes - #22 ($.25)

Getting close to finishing this one off, and only 20 years after the fact...


Pack 16:

2009 Topps Updates & Highlights - #UH15 - Jacoby Ellsbury ($.15)

One of the few cards that I'm not entirely sure why I chose. Nothing terribly exciting here, just another card for the Sox collection. I do recall this game against New York, Ellsbury tore it up on the base-paths. I've heard some people throw out his name for MVP consideration this year.


1981-82 O-Pee-Chee - #385 - Dave "Tiger" Williams PIM Leader ($.27)

I know Casey at Drop the Gloves will appreciate this one. We don't see enough cards dedicated to tough guys anymore, although I guess the 2010-11 Donruss Tough Times inserts were a start. Some other notable goons are listed on the back:


1967 Topps - #37 - Rick Wise ($.85)

Fitting that I show this one in the same post as the Luis Tiant card, as Wise was the winning pitcher for the Red Sox in that amazing game 6 of the 1975 World Series. I chose to include Rick in my box for a different reason though. On June 23, 1971 Rick no-hit the Cincinnati Reds. Not only that but he led the offense by belting not one, but two home-runs!!! If that isn't one of the most impressive individual performances in the history of baseball then I don't know what is. He hit two home-runs in a game again later that summer against the Giants. I couldn't find a '71 that I was happy with condition-wise, but this '67 will do just fine.


2011 Gypsy Queen - #19 - Jon Lester (Framed Paper #'d/999) ($.50)

Gypsy Queen Framed Paper card? Check. Red Sox lefty pitching star? Check. 50 cents? It took me no time at all to add this one to my cart...


1994-95 Upper Deck SP Die-Cut - #116 - Mats Sundin ($.20)

Got this one from the same seller as the Bure die-cut from earlier in these posts.


Mini:

2002-03 Parkhurst Retro Mini - #13 - Pavel Bure ($.43)

I wasn't collecting cards in the late '90's/early 2000's, so I hadn't seen or even heard of these. I wanted to have at least one of the minis in my box be a hockey card though, and I thought this one was pretty cool. These are modeled after the 1951-52 Parkhurst cards. The back leaves a little to be desired though. I'm guessing it was left this way to stay true to the original 51-52's:


Insert:

2010 Topps - #TOG-17 - Wade Boggs Tales of the Game ($.15)

The fourth and final Wade Boggs card in my box. I think pretty much every fan from the 80's and 90's is aware of Boggs' habit of eating chicken before games.


Pack 15
: $2.66
Pack 16: $2.55
Running Total: $50.00

Up next in packs 17 and 18 we'll have an awesome in-game 1970's hockey action photo and a world-renowned artist!

3 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

Ha! Nailed it.

And nice to see my boy Nilan get some props from his rookie season, finishing third in th PIM race. If he had played more, he would've won, gloves down.

Brad said...

Not sick of seeing these posts! Keep it up.

Martin ITFOR said...

Penalty leaders cards are the absolute best hockey cards... Especially thoses with multiples mugshots...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...