Thursday, September 22, 2011

Collecting Whalers - The Cup?

First and foremost, I've taken down the Brass Bonanza song for the time being. It's been stuck in my head for a couple of days running now, and I need a break. I will save the song for only the very best Whalers cards that I post over the next couple of weeks.

Today's post focuses on the fact that the Whalers have made some appearances in a couple of recently-released high end sets. I never rip anything high end, but as I've mentioned before I'll gladly pick up singles on the secondary market. After all, I can't turn down a new card for the Whalers collection. So, when Upper Deck released it's ultimate high end product, The Cup, a few weeks ago, I was very happy to see that a couple of former Hartford players were included. I've managed to win an auction or two, and my first pick-up just arrived in the mail yesterday:

This is a 2010-11 The Cup base card of Hartford's greatest player, and one of the most under-rated players in the history of the NHL period, Ron Francis. Not a bad looking card if you ask me. A bit too much foil for my liking, but at least the design is simple and clean. All of the base cards are numbered to 249, and as others have mentioned they are super thick. I would say this card is as thick as at least 6 or 7 standard cards combined, maybe thicker. I wish they would've used a color photo of Francis, but I guess this black and white shot isn't awful.

The backs are fairly basic, nothing to write home about but a nice large Whalers logo is always appreciated. I can't imagine anyone tries to complete this base set, given that the cards can go for a few bucks a pop, but if you're a player or team collector they're a nice addition.

I've got a few more 2010-11 Whalers cards coming soon, including at least one more from The Cup. Have any of you picked up anything from this set? I saw DFG bust a couple of boxes, and Drop the Gloves picked up a nice Adam McQuaid auto. Anyone else?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a cool card, but why on earth did they pick '85-90 for the stats? Are there others that have the rest?

shoeboxlegends said...

I found that strange as well. Unfortunately I think that's just how the card is. I'm not aware of any other Francis base cards from the set, just this one. I'll have a better idea for whether or not they're all like this once my other win arrives...

Anonymous said...

I got an Orr - an Upper Deck product, can't recall which one. It just randomly eliminated his last two seasons with the Hawks. Now, lots of people would like to do that, but it was odd all the same.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...