Thursday, June 14, 2012

Thursday Night Randomness...

Here are some random scans from my draft folder while I wait to get a new scanner online...

This fantastic Mario Lemieux card is a Canvas parallel from this past year's flagship Upper Deck hockey set.  I've seen it posted a couple of places already, and just had to have one of my own.  I believe the retired stars at the end of the Canvas checklist are short printed...they sure fetch pretty good coin in the secondary market.  This one set me back $14.99, which was an absolute steal.  It was a buy-it-now auction, and I must have stumbled onto it shortly after it was listed, because at that price it wouldn't last long.  These have been regularly going in the $30-$35 dollar range believe it or not.  At the time of this post there are just two listed on eBay, both between $45-$50.  The photo is from a shoot for Sports Illustrated, and was taken at the Pittsburgh Zoo.  This is one of my favorite purchases so far in 2012, I think just because it's so unique.

I know most people disagree (and part of me can understand why), but for some reason I've always kind of liked the yellow-helmet-era Penguins look.  Very nicely done card back right there.

These next three cards might not look like much.  Don't recognize the name Glenn Mulvenna?  Neither did I.  He played 2 career NHL games.

Ryan McGill played 151 career NHL games, registering 4 goals, 15 assists and 391 penalty minutes.

Kjellberg here?  Slightly more successful with 394 career games played and 160 points.  So what is it that ties these three cards together?  They're the final three I needed for my 1992-93 Upper Deck hockey set.  Feels good to cross that one off the list!

Finally, I don't really collect basketball cards but here is one of the few that I do own.  Great shot of The Chief being defended by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.  Whole lotta high socks in that photo.  I can definitely see why '86-87 Fleer is considered one of the best basketball sets of all-time, these cards are beautiful.

That's all for now...

1 comment:

Hackenbush said...

In response to the Mario card:
http://youtu.be/goL8OI7mWU0

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...