Friday, September 28, 2012

Adrian Gonzalez, We Hardly Knew Ye - 2012 Topps Archives Printing Plate

Today is a good day here at Shoebox Legends headquarters.  Tomorrow begins a 10-day vacation from work.  Even better, it's a 10-day stretch where I have almost no set plans. On top of that I will be attending a card show tomorrow.  That may not sound so exciting to some of you, but it will be just my third card show of any kind in the 5+ years that I've been back at collecting (and the last one was less than impressive, although I made the most of it).  Best of all, I should actually have some time to generate a steady number of posts here after a quiet couple of months.  To properly kick off my break, here's another addition to my Adrian Gonzalez Red Sox Collection:

This is the black printing plate used to make Gonzalez's 1967 Topps Sticker insert for the 2012 Topps Archives set.  In my opinion this one is infinitely more interesting than my first printing plate, from Bowman Chrome.  The plate looks great in person, and I love the fact that it's retro themed.  The best part about it though are the random thumb prints and roller marks.  Great stuff.

This set me back $20.62, roughly the cost of a blaster.  You can see some scuffing and blue ink on the back too.  After just two of these I am really digging the concept of the printing plate, and the fact that this one is a bit beat up just makes it even cooler.  eBay wins like this one make me wonder why I even consider spending my card budget anywhere else.  The sheer quantity of cards out there is just amazing, and if you're searching for a very scarce card like this one you can't afford to ignore the auction site. 

I would love to show you the actual sticker that this plate created, but unfortunately I don't have one yet.  Got the printing plate before the regular card, go figure.  Maybe something to look for at the card show tomorrow...

Adrian Gonzalez Red Sox Cards - Count
Total Cards - 19
#'d /2011 - 1
#'d /999 - 1
#'d /60 - 1
1/1 -2
Relics - 0
Silk - 0
Autographs - 0
Printing Plates - 2

2 comments:

Greg Zakwin said...

great pickup!

Zayden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...