Friday, April 26, 2013

Adrian Gonzalez, We Hardly Knew Ye - Patience Pays!

A few months ago I completed the better part of a 2012 Topps Chrome rainbow for my Adrian Gonzalez Red Sox collection.  There was one card I just couldn't bring myself to pay for at the time though, and that was the Atomic Refractor.  With just ten copies in existence I knew this one was going to be quite a challenge.  I saw two sell in the first couple of weeks after the set was released, both for $25+, which I just wasn't willing to pay.  For the longest time the only copy on eBay was a $35 Buy-it-Now auction, no thanks.  I kept my saved eBay search though and a few weeks back finally struck gold.  I think everyone is possibly distracted with all the 2013 product on the shelves, because this time I was the lone bidder and took the card home for just $9.99 plus a couple bucks shipping:

This is one of those rare cases where a Topps Chrome card scans as well as it looks in person, possibly better.  This is definitely one of the nicer looking refractors I've ever seen personally, nice job by Topps with these.

Here's a look at the back, you can see the serial numbering to 10 copies at top right.  I'm really glad that I waited this one out, and in the end paid about 1/3 of what I've seen the other copies of this card go for.  And now, here's a look at the rest of the rainbow with the Atomic Refractor included:

Base card.

Standard Refractor.

Purple Refractor.

Orange Refractor.

X-Fractor.

Blue Refractor, numbered to 199.

Black Refractor, numbered to 100.

Sepia Refractor, numbered to 75.

Gold Refractor, numbered to 50.

Red Refractor, numbered to 25.

Atomic Refractor, numbered to 10.

Dynamic Die-Cut Insert

Cyan Printing Plate.


Magenta Printing Plate.

There you have it.  Maybe someday I'll be fortunate to run across the other two printing plates, or the Superfractor (1/1), but I doubt it, so I'm happy to call this one complete!

Adrian Gonzalez Red Sox Cards - Count

Total Cards - 53

#'d /2011 - 1
#'d /999 - 1
#'d/562 - 1
#'d/199 - 1
#'d/100 - 2
#'d/99 - 1
#'d/75 - 1
#'d /60 -2
#'d/50 - 2
#'d/25 - 2
#'d/10 - 2
1/1 - 7
Relics - 1
Silk - 1
Autographs - 1
Printing Plates - 6

3 comments:

bwvjones said...

Nice Rainbow!!

Greg Zakwin said...

beautiful! congrats on the score!

Sean said...

Wow awesome-looking rainbow, congrats on completing it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...