Sunday, April 14, 2013

Signature Sundays - Milt Schmidt (and a Long Overdue Thank You)

This week's Signature Sundays post is the perfect time for a long overdue thank you to Douglas of Sports Cards from the Dollar Store.  Quite a while back now (must be close to a year ago at this point), he sent me a really cool oddball item:

This is a 1969-70 O-Pee-Chee Boston Bruins "mini-card album", which it seems were designed as a place for collectors to apply their O-Pee-Chee stamps.  The album is just about exactly the size of a standard trading card.

When unfolded there are four players from the album's team depicted inside.  What I love about this one is that someone stuck a Cheevers stamp in here many, many years ago, so you get a good idea of what the before and after looked like.  This is also the closest thing I have to a 1969-70 O-Pee-Chee Bobby Orr.

On the back are two more players prime to be stamped.  The Bruins weren't the only mini-card album that Douglas sent though, he also included the Blackhawks album:


This one's got a Bobby Hull stamp inside, how cool is that?

Yet another Hall-of-Famer on the back.  What does any of this have to do with Milt Schmidt or an autographed card?  I'm getting there.  Along with the two albums, Douglas included a single card in the package:

This is a new Milt Schmidt that I definitely did not have, from the 2006-07 In the Game Heroes & Prospects set.  This card was the perfect addition to my collection, Douglas certainly knows just what type of cards are in my collecting wheelhouse.  As proof of just how well he knows my collecting interests, here's a card that I had picked up just a week or two before his package arrived:

I got the autographed version, and Douglas sent me the base.  A nice couple of additions to the Milt Schmidt collection (even if the auto is a sticker).  This is the fourth Schmidt auto I've managed to pick up, and like the rest this one was criminally under-priced at just $10.36 with free shipping.

Thanks for sending this thoughtful package many months ago Douglas!  I'll have another post up later this week with your more recent package...

1 comment:

Yankeejetsfan said...

Cool vintage card albums.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...