Sunday, June 9, 2013

Signature Sundays - A Spaceman from Manhattan

Recently I've been traveling to New York City quite a bit for work, at least a couple of days a week for about the past two to three months.  I really love the city, always have since my very first trip there as an 11-year-old to see the Red Sox and Yankees play at the old Yankee Stadium.  Anyway, I'm not sure what took me so long to think of this, but on the train ride out for a recent trip I decided to see if there were any baseball card shops in Manhattan to visit when I found some free time.  To my surprise, there's a shop, Chameleon Comics and Cards, just a few blocks from where I'm working.

I stopped by a week or so ago, and found that while the shop is largely focused on comic books, they did have a small area by the door dedicated to sports cards.  There were some reasonably priced wax boxes and packs, but what I was most interested in were the two glass display cases.  Multiple shelves full of vintage (graded and ungraded), autographs, rookie cards and hits.  For such a small area they really had some stuff that was right in my collecting wheelhouse.  I could have easily dropped a few hundred dollars, but I exercised some restraint and picked up just a single card:

This card is absolutely fantastic!  I knew right away I was leaving with this one, especially for the very fair $10 price tag.  A great, quirky photo that obviously plays on Bill's nickname, Spaceman.  On top of that it's from a set I've always liked and the auto is on-card.  I can safely say that this is my most unique Red Sox autograph.  This is actually my second Lee auto, and I think I prefer this one to the first.

There's not much to the back, but at least Fleer certifies the autograph.  Plus, this card has been embossed with the Fleer Mark of Authenticity (ooh!).  This was a great buy and a welcome addition to my Red Sox autograph collection.  I'll definitely be visiting this shop again...

3 comments:

Hackenbush said...

What's not to love about that card? Nothing.

Casey said...

My LCS has this card and I've eyeballed it for about 6 months now. Like you wrote, there is much to love about it: on-card, crazy Spaceman outfit, cheap.

I forgot to tell you this and now it's too late, but yesterday was a card show in Methuen and signing autograph was Normand Leveille. I couldn't go because I had prior commitments, but MAN, I wish I had gone.

shoeboxlegends said...

Thanks guys! Casey, bummer! Would love to meet Normand in person and get an autograph. Don't think I could have made it yesterday anyway but I had no idea he ever did appearances.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...