Thursday, June 19, 2014

2012 Topps Randomness

A while back I picked up a 24-pack retail box of 2012 Topps Series 2 on the cheap.  I still have the majority of it unopened, but I have ripped into a few more packs in the weeks since it arrived.  For around 60 cents per pack it's been providing some good, cheap entertainment.  Sure, like any Series 2 set there are a bunch of cards of no-name guys on the D'Backs and Marlins that I've never heard of.  For someone who enjoys a well-done base card like myself though, there are some gems to be found.  Here are a few favorites from the packs I've opened so far, in no particular order:

Kicking things off is a nice play-at-the-plate shot of a guy who's having a very solid 2014 campaign.  I'm a sucker for a good horizontal card, and this one certainly qualifies.  As you'll see, my box seemed to be heavily loaded with Tigers for some reason, which is alright in my book given that they were your AL Champs the year this set was released.

Justin Verlander's dominance on the mound may be in an absolute free-fall right now (especially in his last two starts), but this is one fantastic card.  I know the over-abundance of minis is getting old at this point, but 1987 Topps was right in my collecting wheelhouse as a kid.  Combine that with a great retro uniform and an interesting photo and I'm a fan...

Tim Lincecum had a rough start to 2012 to say the least, but played very well once converted to a reliever, including some great post-season performances en route to the Giants' second World Series Championship in 3 years.

I remember seeing quite a bit of this card when the set came out a couple years ago, nice to have my own copy of this interesting shot.

So far I've stumbled across two well done horizontal celebration photos, both of D-Back players...


Verlander's base card is a cardboard classic in my book.  I know this angle isn't as original as it may have been 20 years ago, but this photo is perfect in terms of the placement of the outfielder, umpire, Verlander, the ball, and even a bit of the batter.

Barry Zito's still a free agent, so it's entirely possible that 2012 will end up being his last really good year as a pitcher.  He was your World Series Game 1 winner in 2012.

I could see someone complaining that this card was just a cheap attempt to get another Jeter on the checklist, since he was already featured in Series 1.  I don't mind it though, as most games played for the Yankees is no small feat, and the photo choice isn't half bad either.

Again, I'm a fan of these.  They're sort of like the Season Highlights cards from the older sets.

In closing, yet another Tiger.  This one's a die cut and has been added to my trade list on Zistle.  I don't think it will take me too long to unload it, I'd imagine there are plenty of Miggy collectors out there with the career he's put together.

Well, there you have it.  I'll probably post a few more favorites from this set once I get through another chunk of packs...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...