Saturday, February 14, 2015

Collection Cornerstones - Hammerin' Hank

Recently I paid off my car loan, which for the time being has provided me with a little extra cash in my pocket each month.  I'm not a big car guy, and generally view them as a bad investment, so we're not talking a ton of extra money (I drive a nearly 10-year-old Honda Civic), but every little bit helps.  I decided that for as long as my current car holds out, I'll take the money I was spending on a car payment each month and divide it into thirds.  Two thirds will go into savings for a down payment on the next car, the other third will be used to buy myself a sports card!

The goal of this isn't to blow the card portion of the money on packs or something I'll instantly forget, but rather to add some significant "cornerstone" cards to my collection.  The type of cards I normally can't afford on my self-imposed monthly collecting budget.  The type of cards that make my jaw drop, or make me smile every time I hold them in hand.  Today I've got the results of month one of this experiment to show you, and I have to say I'm very pleased.  Behold!

This is exactly the kind of card I had in mind when I decided to try this out.  An absolute beauty from one of my favorite vintage sets.  A classic portrait of one of the game's all-time sluggers on a sunny summer day.

Here's a better look at the front.  In the humble opinion of this blogger Aaron still is, and likely always will be, the true Home Run King.

My only wish is that '64 Topps had some more thoughtfully designed card backs.  A real shame that a card with such a beautiful front displays this disaster when turned over.  Oh well...

Look for more of these "Collection Cornerstone" posts in coming months.  Hopefully my car holds out for a while here!

6 comments:

Commishbob said...

Great pick-up. That's a terrific card. Love yesterday's Gehrig, too. I need to find one of those.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

very nice!

Anonymous said...

That's a really cool card, I love it!

Mark Hoyle said...

Great card. I never buy packs of cards. I always go after a vintage purchase

Casey said...

Nice strategy on saving money. Not having a car payment is a sweet relief that I once enjoyed and am now envious of.

Oh, and that Aaron is nice!

shoeboxlegends said...

Thanks for the comments guys. Casey, nice hearing from you and I hope things are going well out West!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...