Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Blue Cubes - Quest for The Cup

A few weeks ago I picked up a 2014-15 O-Pee-Chee Platinum Blue Cubes parallel of Bruins phenom David Pastrnak.  It was easily one of the nicest looking parallels I'd seen in a long time, and while I'll never try completing the entire set I did make it a point to search out a few more.  As luck would have it, all four players that I picked up advanced quite a ways in the recently concluded 2015 Stanley Cup playoffs...

First up, a player that I like quite a bit, Martin St. Louis.  This guy is the definition of beating the odds to enjoy a long and successful NHL career.  Unfortunately the Rangers couldn't overcome the Lightning in the Eastern Conference Finals.

Here's the guy who lit the lamp more than any other player in this year's playoffs.  He really cooled off towards the end though, and it's come out that he suffered a broken wrist early in the Cup Final.  Nonetheless, I gladly welcome this card as a reminder of the great post-season that Johnson enjoyed.

I also grabbed Tyler's teammate, and one of my favorite current players period, Steven Stamkos.  I was really hoping that he'd be able to hoist The Cup, but it appears it was not meant to be yet.  Stamkos is still one of the best pure goalscorers in the league, and will be for many years to come.  Also, these parallels work really well with the Lightning's color scheme.

Last but not least, the man who set up Duncan Keith on what would be the Cup-winning goal, then put the nail in the Lightning's coffin by depositing one of his own to give the 'Hawks a two-goal lead with only minutes remaining in game 6.  Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook are really cementing their place in hockey's history books at this rate.

I haven't been searching these parallels out actively since picking up these four, but thanks to some bargain hunting this quartet set me back less than $5 per card, and that includes shipping.  I would love to grab a few more stars if I can find them at this price point, but we'll see.  At just 65 copies each, I have a feeling these are the types of cards that might totally dry up for good a few months after the set's release...

4 comments:

Swing And A Pop-up said...

Those are nice cards.

Corky said...

That is a really cool parallel.

Mark Kaz said...

These are amazing. Better than any Topps parallel I've seen recently! Imagine what a whole set of these would look like??

Commishbob said...

Love the MSL. sadly he is apparently parting way with my Rangers. I know a lot of Rangers followers were disappointed in his playoff output but sometimes that doesn't reflect the play level of a guy. Oh well.

Nice pick-ups!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...