Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Antique Store Hall - Part II

As a surefire sign that I procrastinate and put things off for way too long sometimes, today I've got the second of three parts of a sweet haul I picked up at an antique store here in Rhode Island over a year ago now.  My, how time flies...

The big allure here was that the cards at this particular store, while not terribly over-priced to begin with, were marked down 70% off the sticker price!  There wasn't anything here that's going to lead to an early retirement for me, but I feel I got some good bargains.  This nice, mint '70 Topps Earl Weaver for example was marked at $1, which means I paid all of 30 cents.  That was the cheapest of the 9 cards I have to show here today.

I really, really love 1964 Topps baseball.  If I were ever to chase after a set from the '60s this would probably be the one I'd choose.  Maybe someday.  While it's not an active goal of mine yet, I do pick up a single here and there when I encounter a deal that's just too enticing to pass up.  With a sticker price of $1.50, and thus an actual price of 45 cents, this Roman Mejias was one such deal.

Paired with the Mejias is this Jim Gilliam, at a take-home price of $1.20.  The Dodgers are probably my second favorite old-time franchise behind the Red Sox, and while I enjoy Brooklyn Dodgers cards more than their LA counterparts I wasn't going to leave Jim behind for another collector to snatch up.

This '55 Bill Taylor probably wasn't my smartest purchase of the day given the condition of the card, but at the same price as the '64 Gilliam I went ahead and grabbed it.  I think the main reason I was tempted is just that it's a New York Giants card.  That and the fact that I actually have a decent sized stack of '55s from a lot I purchased years ago when I first got back into collecting.

The highlight of the boxes at this store for me was the large number of '52 Topps cards that were available, and in pretty decent condition too.  While they were all commons, none of them were priced above $6 so it was a good chance to add some cards from this iconic set to my collection without breaking the bank.

Here's the guy who patrolled center field for the Tigers in the days before Al Kaline emerged (though he's pictured here with the defunct St. Louis Browns).  Jim is also known as the man who came in to pinch run after the infamous 1951 walk to 3' 7" Eddie Gaedel.

While I enjoy just about any Topps or Bowman release from the '50s, catcher cards are a notch above the rest in my book.  Except for a couple of minor corner dings, this Myron Ginsberg is in remarkable shape.  I never doubted for a minute that this one was coming home with me.  This card is cool too because Ginsberg caught a no-hitter in May of 1952, right around the same time that kids were pulling it from packs!

Last '52 for today is another backstop, Johnny Bucha of the St. Louis Cardinals.  A really nice horizontal image on this one, nice enough that the surface crease going through Johnny's head didn't deter me from purchasing it.  Felt good adding four new '52s to my collection here for around the price of a blaster.

Before I go, I have one last card to share with you for today, which also rang in at $6 after the 70% off discount:

This is a card I've admired and wanted my own copy of for a long time now.  As most fans of baseball history know, Murakami was the first Japanese player to make an appearance with an MLB team.  Acquiring his rookie card felt pretty significant, especially for less money than a fast food value meal would set me back!

I have one more post to go in order to cover the rest of my haul from this shop.  I promise it won't take me a year to get it posted this time, in fact I'm planning to knock it out this coming weekend.  Until then...

5 comments:

Billy Kingsley said...

This makes me feel a lot better about not yet posting part two of my major hockey haul from January 2015.... somewhat anyway. Don't see 1952s on the blogosphere too often.

Unknown said...

Nice haul!! Where is this place????

shoeboxlegends said...

Thanks guys! Shane, I don't know the name of the place but it's a small antiques store on Route 44 in Chepachet, RI. If you took 44 from Apple Valley area West towards CT it's probably 10-15 minutes down the road there! This was over a year ago so I'm not sure what's still there or how much it's been picked over but it would certainly be worth a drive if you're bored someday...

Unknown said...

cool thanks!!

Unknown said...

I think I found it online.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...