Sunday, May 21, 2017

Floating Heads

I received my latest COMC order in the mail yesterday, which was quite a surprise as I wasn't expecting it for another week or so.  Many of the cards will populate my card chest, to be pulled and posted about at some point in the future.  I did pluck a trio for scanning and posting today as I was putting them away, however.

I decided to grab these three because they're all '71s.  First up is a nice, bright HOFer, Red Schoendienst.  I like the photograph here, and have always enjoyed the black-bordered '71 design.  There was one real reason I was drawn to this one though:

You probably saw this coming based on the title of the post, but today's trio are '71 O-Pee-Chee cards featuring the glorious floating head backs!  These are just beyond awesome, some of the more interesting card backs of all-time in my humble opinion.

I also snagged Luis Tiant, who, while not enshrined in Cooperstown, is a member of the Boston Red Sox Hall of Fame.  This one is pretty badly off-center, but I really can't complain considering I paid just 74 cents each for today's three cards.

Besides, with these it's all about the back, and this looks great to me.

Last of the trio is Orioles pitcher Mike Cuellar.  I grabbed this one because at the time this set was released Cuellar was one of the best arms in the game.  He'd won the AL Cy Young Award in 1969, and led the league in wins en route to a Baltimore World Series Championship in 1970.

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for more of these.  There weren't a whole lot of other options at this much of a discount, but I'm happy with these three for now.  $2.22 well spent!

4 comments:

Mark Hoyle said...

I agree the 71 OPc is my favorite

Anonymous said...

I love the 1971 O-Pee-Chee backs as well. I normally only collect OPC's with a photo that somehow differs from its Topps counterpart, but I had an idea after reading your post... "Hmm, how hard would it be to collect the 1971 OPC Mets team set?" It took about 20 seconds to shoot that idea down - Nolan Ryan is also in OPC. Damn.

Fuji said...

The 1971 OPC baseball card backs are fantastic! Choo Say's comments... not so much.

GCA said...

I gotta git me one of those Tiants! I do have the OPC deckle edge from '69 though....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...