Saturday, May 20, 2017

One Card Post - Pistol Pete!

What:  1980-81 Topps #38 - Pete Maravich
Where:  COMC
How Much?:  $.88

Why?
:  I'm not a big basketball guy, but when I found out recently that Pete Maravich had a card from his final NBA season with the Celtics I was intrigued.  As basketball collectors know, the '80-81 set actually had three mini cards per full-size card.  The mini cards had perforated edges and could be torn apart, which is what happened here.  Each mini card like this one is roughly the size of a mini card that you'd find in modern-day Allen & Ginter baseball sets, though not exactly.

I'm sure the fact that this one has been separated hurts its "value", but I thought it was a really cool card from a sport I don't really dabble in for less than a buck!  Even comes with a cartoon on the back:


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gave some thought a while ago to getting a semi-vintage Pistol Pete, but was scared away by the card prices. Can't beat 88 cents!

1980/81 was also the year of the dreaded scratch-off hockey cards. I don't know which gimmick was worse.

Billy Kingsley said...

Somehow I've managed to not get any of them separated. I really dislike this set but I've gotten most of the individual panels now. You have got to get into basketball more so I can send you stuff.

Mark Hoyle said...

Absolutely loved the Pistol. Was my favorite player even before he came to the Celts. Don't have his rookie card but have second yr card

Fuji said...

Normally I'm not a big fan of throwing multiple players on one card... however when it comes to iconic cards, Topps created one of the greatest sports cards of all-time with that Magic/Dr. J/Bird rookie card. For that reason alone, I'm okay with this particular set. As for the Maravich, I think it looks pretty cool separated. It's got that 1978 Topps baseball feel. Sweet find for 88¢!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...